Tuesday, October 14, 2014

A photo essay of what I've been doing

Turned a mallet from a piece of maple firewood

pallet wood planter

Mother's day planter made from cedar fence picket

Raise bed garden built from cedar fence pickets (6' by 3')

My wife and I built this clock for our back porch

Turned my first yo-yo

This froe belonged to my great-great great-grandpa

more family tools

My Great Grandpa built this table, I plan to clean it up and fix the loose joints. 

This saw was my uncle's grandpa's.

The spoon on the bottom is Red Bud and was carved for my Mom's Birthday

Zebra wood pen

Me at the age of 4 helping Dad build his garage

Tigerwood bolt action pen

Old Craftsman block plane that belonged to my grandpa
My co-worker was remodeling a 140 year old building and gave me some wood from it.

Wine bottle holder made from the 140 year old wood.

I finally got around to build some wood working for mere mortals inspired clamp racks

Pumpkin decoration to pain with the kids

Built-in Book Case with Desk

In one of my last blog post I mentioned a big project I had been working on. It took way more time than I planned but I got it installed back in the beginning of September. I built the bookcase and desk from MDO plywood and poplar face frames.

I sized the book case to where I could get all 4 sides from one sheet of plywood. Doing this let me cut all the dadoes for the fixed shelves at the same time so I knew they would line up.
 After routing the dadoes I ripped the sides to with using my Kreg Rip Cut
 I made a jig to drill the shelf pin holes.

The cases were then glued together

 Poplar was used to make the face frames,

 The desk section has a 3/4" plywood top and 1/2" plywood bottom.
 The drawers are made from 1/2" ply and were joined together using box joints.
 The drawer fronts are made from poplar and the drawers have full extension slides.
 It needs trimmed out still but it it already being lovingly used.

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Pretend Projects

I have two little helpers who come out to the shop some and they come up with all sorts of ideas of what we should make while they are out there. Unfortunately most their ideas are bigger than our time allows, or would require way more planning than is possible while the helpers are around. They have some good ideas and it is a lot of fun to listen to them explaining their ideas.

Recently one morning my daughter came out to the shop and wanted to make a wand. So we found a small piece of maple and she helped me turn the main part of the wand. We sized the handle to her hand. She likes to catch the chips as they some off the lathe. While she was napping I finished sanding the handle and applied a finish. She wanted a star on the end but I thought a star would be too good of a weapon. So I cut a heart out of cherry and glued it to the wand.

Little brother has been playing knight and pirates lately and his favorite sword was a pastry brush. I found some thin (3/8") cherry and glued some walnut on to build up a the handle and then roughed out a sword shape. The shape of the sword could use some refining but it sure made a little boys day when I brought it in from the shop for him, I need to steal sometime when he is asleep and give it a finish.
Cutting vines
After getting the sword he asked "where's my shield?"

Both toys were made with the stipulation that if it was used as a weapon it would be destroyed in the wood stove.

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Green Bowl Turning

Late last summer I cut down a cherry and an apple tree in the yard, I cut some bowl blanks as I was cutting up the trees.

While hauling some firewood to the shop I got distracted by the bowl blanks and brought a couple of them to the shop. I used the band saw to cut a rough circle and then mounted the bowl to the lathe using a lag screw as a screw chuck.
I then turned then outside of the bowl and glued my glue block I've used with my other bowls on to turn the inside. The blanks weren't all the way dry and the "green" wood was fantastic to turn. Since the wood was green I could either leave the bowl thick and let it dry slowly in a bag of shavings and then true up the bowl and finish it once it was dry. Or I could make the bowl thin and allow the bowl to warp and dry on its own. I didn't want to have to wait so I chose the second option. I used mineral oil to finish the bowl, which is a food safe finish. Here is the finished Apple bowl. It has already warped and has became oval shaped.

I am looking forward to making more bowl like this one.
Snack time
I am working on a big project and I am going to make one blog post about it when it is done instead of several post along the way.

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

More pens and videos

I've been turning some more pens again when I don't have a lot of shop time. I've also been making some videos while in the shop.

One of the recent pens I made was made from purple heart. Purple heart is brown after cutting or sanding, the purple will return on its own with time and exposure to sunlight. But it's possible to speed this process up by heating the wood.
Here the color change is noticeable
It is amazing how quickly the color changes. I have some other ideas I want to try on my next purple heart pen.

I also turned my first antler pen recently. It was difficult to find a piece that was straight enough, I had some difficulty drilling straight through the antler. But the end result was good.

Here are a few of the other pens I've made recently
Hickory pen and pencil set
 While making the above hickory pen I attached a Go Pro camera to my roughing gouge for a interesting perspective.

Birds eye maple

Birds eye maple