I split the pieces in half length wise and sealed the ends with paint to slow down how fast they dry out and to minimize cracking.
Fast forward 11 months, I've gotten a chuck for the lathe and I'm planning to make more bowls. I used the bandsaw and made crudely round blanks from one of the halves shown above. This wood isn't completely "dry" yet but also wasn't as green as a fresh cute tree. So I decided to rough turn these and allow them to finish drying before I turn them to their final shape.
I turned two bowls from the half a log piece. The larger is just under 8" in diameter, and the smaller is around 6". I left the wall thickness roughly 10% of the bowl diameter as is standard practice for rough turning bowls. I weighed each bowl and then packed them in a paper bag with the shavings/chips turning them. I will weigh them regularly and once they stop losing weight (moisture) I will finish turning them. I have several more pieces of the flame box elder waiting for me to get to using it.