Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Work Bench Mods

I don't have a typically wood working work bench. I have a couple of work benches I made from some salvaged counter tops on a frame made of 2x4's and 2x2's.  While they work great for being a nice flat surface for stacking things on, they lack the work holding capabilities of a real work bench.  It also isn't sturdy enough to not want to move around while using a hand plane. 

Recently I added a hold down clamp to my bench, it was something I had gotten at a yard sale my grandma was having. Grandpa had never installed the clamp, it was new in the box.
 A bolt is counter bored into the top so the bolt head is recessed when not in use.
Even though I don't have a vise, I can still edge plane a board.  This is a mdf fence I've used in the past with the bandsaw, but with the help of some clamps it works for edge planing. I also drilled a 3/4" hole in the bench and inserted a 3/4" dowel to use as a planing stop.

So don't let not having a "real" work bench keep you from getting things done.

No comments:

Post a Comment