Thursday, November 6, 2014

A fungi for fun

I have a hard time staying away from the lathe, I really enjoy turning. I had a little extra time one morning in the shop so wanted to turn something. During a thunderstorm recently a Bradford Pear tree at my parent's was damaged. I picked a few pieces out of the log pile to make things out of.

I had watched videos of people turning mushrooms as practice.  I grabbed a piece of the bradford pear and put it between centers on the lathe. The bradford pear turns wonderfully with the wood still being green (wet).  It was a lot of fun.

Since the wood was green the mushroom will crack and possibly warp as the wood dries out, but that will just add character. Finished size is roughly 5" tall, 3.5" across the cap, and the bigger part of the stem is around 2" in diameter.

No comments:

Post a Comment