Thursday, November 20, 2014

Inside out Ornament

Last year turning ornaments was good practice on the lathe. I wanted to try something different this year and I have watched several videos on how to turn an inside out ornaments. I had some figured walnut I had been saving.

I glued 4 piece together with paper in each glue joint so I can easily separate the piece after this first step.
 Next after squaring up the ends I put the blank on the lathe and turned a pleasing curve.
 After turning the inside of the ornament I used a chisel and separated the piece.
 Each piece was rotated 180 degrees and glued together.
I didn't get a picture while turning the outside, but here is the ornament ready for finish.
Here is the ornament with a coat of spray shellac. I will sand between coats and probably apply four coats.


No comments:

Post a Comment