Thursday, August 2, 2012

Cutting board is done

Here is the finished cherry and walnut cutting board.

The cutting board was a fun project, I will probably be making a lot more of them. 

Last night I started to mill the boards for my next project, a lap desk for my wife, built out of walnut. I bought a 4/4 (1") thick board and am trying to resaw it into two 3/8" thick boards.  My bandsaw doesn't have the clearance to cut a 7.5" wide board, and it is not up the job of resawing anyway. I made and attempt to resaw on the table saw by making a pass through each side, but that left a approximately 2" wide piece in the middle uncut. I am not Roy Underhill so my hand tool skills and collection left me looking for a better option to resaw these boards. My plan for now is to rip the boards in half then resaw them and then glue them back together. I have successfully resawn a board on the table saw by leaving a 1/4" strip between the two side and then hand sawing them apart. 

Dust collector update:
I am very happy with how well the dust collector works with the planer, before using the shop vac sometimes chips would come flying out the front because there were more chips than it could handle. With the dust collector this is now longer a problem. I am less than happy right now with hos it works with the table saw, but that is not the collectors fault. The table saw has large gaps between the table top and the saw body, by filling those gaps I should see an improvement in dust collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment