Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Maple Mania part 2

This is a continuation of the last post about the Maple Butcher Block island. Last week I took another trip to the hard wood dealer, I needed another piece of maple to replace the ambrosia piece, and I wanted to get an extra board encase there was more waste than I anticipated.
Over the weekend I surfaced these new maple boards. I shot some video showing the process of surfacing the boards.
Next I selected a few boards from each batch of milling and surfaced them again to remove any warp that may have formed after they had been initially surface. Then I ripped each board to just over 1.5" and glued them up into the first blank for the butcher block top.
This slab is 9" wide, 43" long, and 1.5" thick.
I used several boards to make this glue up with hopes of the final product having a random look to the different colors in the maple. This was just the first of several glue ups that going to be required for this project, I would like to get at least 3 more done this week/weekend.

While at the hardwood dealer I picked up some 8/4 (2" thick) hard maple and walnut for more cutting boards. I also got a piece of hickory to build another knife block from.

No comments:

Post a Comment