Thursday, July 5, 2012

Router Table Top

I hope everyone had a good 4th of July. I got to spend most of the day in the shop.

I spent most of my time building a router table top. For now I am going to just use the top supported by some saw horse until I can build a cabinet to attach the top to.  I started by gluing and screwing 2 pieces of 3/4" birch plywood to make a rigid top. Then I routed out a recess for the router insert plate to sit in.
After one pass around with my 3/4" flush trim bit I removed the frame and then used the jig saw to remove the center leaving a 1/2" ledge for the router  insert plate to sit on.
I have a little more fine tuning to make the insert to sit completely flush. I will be building a fence from some MDF I have on hand and apply some solid wood edging to the top. The top is 24" deep and 36" wide. The insert is offset from the center of the table 1.5" back from the center.

I also got the base cut for a cross-cut sled for the table saw and got the fences laminated for it.  I plan on finishing the cross-cut sled this weekend so I can get back to the knife block project.

No comments:

Post a Comment